Thursday, November 6, 2008

Healthy Banana Bread




Everybody makes banana bread. I mean, what else is there to do with a couple of overripe bananas? Banana bread is simply a practice in frugality. Well, like soup, I am not a big fan of bananas in any form other than fairly underripe or fried plaintains (yum!). But I refuse to throw out an entire bunch of bananas simply because Caleb didn't see them sitting in plain sight.






Trying to find a healthy version, I scoured the web. I found a lot of possibilities and decided to try my version of Hungry Girl's banana bread. There are a couple of changes, but I think the bread turned out really good.

Enjoy!



Healthy Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Bread
1 cup Splenda Baking Mix
5 Medium Bananas, mashed
1/2 cup Egg Beaters (I used the kind with Yolk)
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp Large Granulated Sugar (for garnish)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixer. Add in the egg beaters, mashed bananas, and nuts and mix again. Put into a loaf pan that has been strayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle sugar over top. Bake on middle rack for 50-75 minutes (the directions I found all said 50 minutes but mine took about 1 hour and 15 minutes).

Makes 8 large pieces

1 comment:

Ann Summerville said...

I stopped by your blog today.
Ann