Thursday, November 6, 2008

Leek & Asparagus Soup



Let me start by saying that I am not the kind of person who considers herself an officianado on soups. In fact, I could say that I hate soups. Yes, I believe my adversion is strong enough to warrant such a word. However, in my quest to shed a couple of pounds I am willing to try something new. So, whether I want to or not, I am trying to tolerate soups. Sure, I have not embraced them with open arms, but I'm slowly starting to enjoy soups.

Now, I'm sure you are wondering why I dislike soups so much (or maybe not). I have nothing against the flavor combinations popular among soups. Cream of anything is usually quite delicious. Veggie soups and chicken soups taste nice, too. My problem lies in the shear liquid content of soups. I may be alone in this, but I do not like to drink my meals. There is little texture and complexity to soup (in my opinion, of course). Plus, I always feel unsatisfied after eating a bowl of soup. I know, I'm strange, but please forgive me this flaw.




So, in an effort to change my ways, I decided to make a soup. Since the only ones I really like are creamy, I tried to decide how to make a healthy creamy soup. The end result- if I do say so myself- is quite delicious and even filling. While not as thick as a traditional cream of leek soup, this one will leave you feeling satisfied, but not guilty. I hope you enjoy it and can use this basic concept to create a ton of other "creamy" soups.

Leek & Asparagus Soup

3 Leeks, halved and thinly sliced
1 bunch Asparagus, sliced in 1/4" slices
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1 Tbsp Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tbsp Salt (I like my soups salty so I added a little more)
2 tsp Pepper
Drizzle Olive Oil

In a pot over medium-high heat, sautee the leeks for until they are translucent and just start to caramelize. Add the asparagus and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except the sour cream. Boil the soup for 30 minutes. Lower the heat and add the sour cream. Simmer for 5 minutes, making sure not to boil the soup (the sour cream will curdle).

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: