Friday, August 15, 2008

Curried Couscous




Have you ever tasted something so delicious that it stayed on your mind for a while? Well, last year I had curried couscous for the first time. It was a bright yellow and had huge chunks of jalapeno peppers in it. It certainly wasn't the first time I have tasted curry. Nor was it the first time I had tried couscous. In fact, it wasn't even that great a dish! So why can't I get this dish out of my head? The reason is simple- it became a challenge.

Since that fateful day that was almost exactly a year ago, I have tried many different variations, trying to achieve the perfect curried couscous. Believe me, it's not nearly as obvious as it should be! For the most part, my couscous concoctions have been too heavy on the curry and nothing else.

And then it happened. Earlier today I was looking through some of my cookbooks to find a pasta salad for a friend's birthday party this weekend (in fact, it was at his party last year that I was introduced to curried couscous). While I was rather unsuccessful and ended up making my own (more to come on that later), I happened to find Ina Garten's recipe for curried couscous. Can you imagine what it feels to win the lottery? That's how I felt about finding this recipe. I wish I was joking.

But, of course, could I make it exactly the way she does? Of course not! Hers had things like sour cream (or yogurt- I don't remember), turmeric, and carrots. Not only did I not have these things in my house, but I wanted to lighten it up a bit.

And I have to say- after having 3 servings at dinner tonight, I think I can finally say that I've got my curried couscous recipe. It is spicy and savory, with a hint of sweetness. I'm not usually one to add sweet ingredients to savory dishes, but this turned out to be a must. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do.



Curried Couscous
adapted from Ina Garten

2 cups Water
2 cups Couscous (use whole grain whenever possible)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
1 tsp Butter/Margarine
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Coriander
2 Jalapeno Peppers, finely diced
1 small Onion, diced
1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
Salt & Pepper to taste

Bring the water and 1 Tbsp of oil to a boil in a saucepan. Add the couscous and stir to incorporate. Remove the couscous from the heat and cover the saucepan. Let it sit and steam for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well, making sure to fluff all of the couscous.

Makes 6-8 servings

No comments: