Friday, August 8, 2008

Tuna Pasta

When I got home from work today, I was exhausted. I was so tired that I disobeyed the cardinal rule and took a nap. Next thing I know, it's 9pm and way past our dinner time. I went into the man cave to find my husband passed out on the floor, dead from starvation. Well, not really, but he was hungry. His solution? Eat chips with the homemade salsa I made yesterday (don't worry, that recipe is coming!). While perhaps healthier than potato chips and dip, this was certainly an unacceptable dinner for my husband.

However, since it was so late, I didn't want to start making the tacos that I originally planned. Why you ask? Of course, making tacos is super easy and fun. However, when you have a husband like mine who only knows how to make a single recipe, you take advantage of it as much as possible. Since his single recipe is tacos- and since he's got a cold :(- there will be no tacos tonight.

Hence this recipe that I whipped together. I read somewhere a recipe for an italian pasta dish with tuna. I can see the sumptuous picture in my mind: lots of garlic and spaghetti noodles with chunks of tuna, hunks of spinach, and dots of capers, all glistening in a pool of olive oil and butter. Yum. I suddenly feel my heart constricting. No, I am not in lot, I am having a coronary.

If you're like me, this delicious meal sounds like 5 pounds of added fat on my butt, thighs, or hips. So I decided to do what I do best and reinvent the meal. And I have to admit, I might just be a culinary genius. Not really, but it was still pretty darn delicious. Sure, there are things about the recipe which I would change for next time. These changes are reflected in the recipe.


Not the prettiest meal the next day, but just as tasty.

Pasta with Tuna, Spinach, and Capers

1 lb Spaghetti (I used a combination of whole wheat pasta and high fiber white pasta)
2 cans Tuna in Water, drained (use the solid tuna- I used white chunks and it kind of disintegrated in the sauce)
1 cup Chicken Broth
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Small Onion, diced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 cups Spinach, chopped (I used frozen, but I think it would taste much better with fresh)
1 cup other veggies (I used canned beets, but I think it would taste amazing with roasted red peppers)
1 Tbsp Capers
Juice of 1 Lemon (3-4 Tbsp)
1/2 cup grated cheese.
1 Tbp Ground Thyme
Salt & Pepper

Place the spaghetti in a pot of salted boiling water until cooked. Over medium heat, cook the onions and the garlic in the chicken broth. Add all of the other ingredients except for the tuna and cheese and cook until the veggies are all lightly cooked. Add the tuna, grated cheese, and drained spaghetti noodles and toss.

Makes 4 decent servings.

No comments: