Friday, August 1, 2008

Turkey Meatloaf and Pasta Side



My day has definitely had its ups and downs. For instance, I did the ultimate impression of a sloth and I didn't get out of bed until after 1:30pm. That's right, it was the afternoon when I woke up. However, I had to write my final project for my summer class today, so my day started with total slothfulness (um, is that a word?!) and ended in a frantic dash to turn in my project on time... which, of course it wasn't. Mind you, if I'm being honest, I did play a game or two of Solitaire today.

So what does one do if you are me and you finally become hungry around 4pm? Too early for dinner and waaay too late for lunch? I have a linner. That's right- a linner. I did what I often do- throw a bunch of stuff together and hope for the best. Which, mind you, it was.

I started with half of a turkey meatloaf I made a couple of days ago. It was amazing. Surprisingly tender, flavorful, and even healthy. I added on a simple salad, mixed up a quick pasta side, and I was ready to munch away. Needless to say, I hoovered my entire plate in 3 minutes flat. I know. I was there.



Turkey Meatloaf

1 1/2lbs ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian flavored)
1 Tbsp Worcester sauce
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Ketchup, plus some more

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all of the ingredients except the extra ketchup. Form 4 small football-shaped meatloaves on a cookie sheet. Bake in the over uncovered for 20 minutes. Cover each meatloaf in a thin layer of ketchup (maybe 2 Tbsp per meatloaf). Put the tray back in the over for another 15 minutes.






Simple Pasta Salad

You'd never know this pasta dish was healthy. Seriously. The first picture looks like oil, right? Wrong! It's chicken broth- a healthy secret of mine. Sure, I used a smidgen of oil as well, but for the most part, if you use a non-stick pan, you don't need the added oil. This was seriously fantastic anyway.

Small handful of white/whole wheat pasta blend (maybe 1/8 lb)
1/4 cup chicken stock (I use organic)
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1 small garlic clove, diced (use one of the center ones)
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan
Salt & Pepper

Put pasta into salted boiling water. It should only take 3-4 minutes to cook. Add several Tbsp of chicken stock to a pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds or so, until the broth is gone and the shallots are translucent. Add olive oil if you need to. Pour the cooked pasta into the pan. Add the rest of the broth and Parmesan cheese. Toss and serve.

No comments: